Sunday, September 5, 2010

We Are Members Of One Another

Romans 1:11-12

  • Romans 1:11 For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to strengthen you— 12 that is, that we may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith, both yours and mine. (ESV)
When I was about 16 or 17 years old I had a spiritual awakening. I had prayed a simple prayer, based on some simple logic. I accepted that there was indeed a God, and that I was less than He in every way. I also accepted something else, but it was more unconscious than anything else. I accepted at the time that I was vulnerable to the persuasions of others, especially my elders, and that I couldn't necessarily trust everything they all said. I didn't realize that this was actually a fear of man. I also kept me as the point of safety, I would keep me safe. But my prayer that night, standing on a dark street corner not too far from my house is one that I know God heard, and has honored ever since.

"God, you are more than me, and I am less than you. God make up for  my weaknesses, and show me yourself. Is this bible truly YOUR word? Are all these things my parents have taught me YOUR TRUTH? Teach me in a way that I can understand"


    5 comments:

    1. And then just a year or two later, God used you to express His grace and truth in my life! Thanks man!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi, Laurence. The confession in your prayer that God is more than you and you are less than he, reminded me of a thought from Goethe: "For a man to achieve all that is demanded of him he must regard himself as greater than he is."

      ReplyDelete
    3. John: Thanks for the thought. I spent a great deal of my life worrying about who was lesser, and who was greater. I constantly compared myself to others. Reminds me of Galatians 6:1-5

      ReplyDelete
    4. Nice story Laurence. A good witness. I would like to link this to my 'the move" page, if that's ok with you.

      ReplyDelete