Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Tender Hearted

1 Peter 3:8 Finally, all [of you] should be of one and the same mind (united in spirit), sympathizing [with one another], loving [each other] as brethren [of one household], compassionate and courteous (tender hearted and humble).


I felt God speaking directly to me this past Sunday. The pastor taught on the subject of all of us getting on the bus, the vision bus. And he asked those of us there to come forward, and "get on the bus". This was/is a decisive act of obedience. To be united in spirit.

I am a bus driver after all. It may look like a bus driver is in charge, but he is actually performing the task set out for him by the management. In some respects I have a truly mindless job! All I have to do is be obedient! I obey the schedule and prescribed route for my bus. I obey the policy and procedures of the company in my dealings with the public. I obey the traffic laws. Yet it is not a given that I will behave like that. Quite the opposite. In fact, the longer I am on the job, the more I tend toward attempting to take over control of the company. I do this by bad mouthing the company, my fellow workers, and the public. I begin to think the problems I face in carrying out my job description could be solved "if only..." and out pours criticism of everyone around me. I'm expressing my frustration in a manner which doesn't take the truth into account. See my posting entitled "Expectations"

When I come back to my senses, I come back to the things I did at first. And my first attribute as a driver was humility, and obedience. My attitude of submission to leadership and authority is out of reverence for God. In First Peter we see Peter speaking of this same quality. To honor leadership out of reverence for God. God put them in charge. God ordained their ministry.

1 Peter 1:22 Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart,

Are you on board THAT bus?

No comments:

Post a Comment