Friday, September 17, 2010

God is in charge

Romans 1:21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.


We've had an interesting thing happen to us here lately at our home. It involves a stray cat we've seen all summer long around the neighborhood. About a week ago it was laying on our picnic table, which has a big shade umbrella over it. I decided to put some smoked salmon I had out for it to eat. Well, it chowed down on the piece pretty ferociously, and accepted another few pieces! Pretty soon it was at our door for some more, and coming into our house. We gave it some more food, and it was here more often. A couple days ago I came home from work, and my loving wife had set out a towel for it to lay down on, and it was with her in the living room.

I cautioned her that we're not allowed to have pets, that it might have flees, and she shouldn't be letting it get so comfortable. The animal actually let me pick it up, and that's when I noticed, nipples, and a chubby belly! So, its a she! And possibly pregnant! The next time she came into the house after some food we gave her she was snooping around for out of the way places, like behind the couch, and under my son's bed. Yup, she's pregnant, and looking for a place to have her babies, its called "nesting behavior"

Well, we set out the bedding under our patio table, which is a little bit dryer, but not hugely than our rain swept back yard. She stayed out there over night. As my son and wife were becoming more attached to her, I realized something had to be done.

I called the local SPCA, and we took her over there. They confirmed that she's indeed pregnant, and we filled out the paper work. We donated our cat carrier, the food, and a towel we'd given her for bedding.

I am thankful that God allowed us to be part of caring for this animal. All the factors that led up to us taking her added up to it being just in time. The lady at the shelter said that they stop eating for 24 hours before they nest, and she was still eating ferociously. That I tried feeding her was such a good thing, because she was so hungry. She was probably feeding on mice, and scraps up to now.

Knowing that I'm just a part of God's world, and part of our community I put God in charge, by not dishonoring our landlord by secretly having a cat. Truthfulness, and faithfulness to my word I'd given him that we would have no pets.

I rest in the fact, God is in charge!

No comments:

Post a Comment